Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Room Full of Paper Butterflies

"The only advantage to not being too good a housekeeper is that your guests are so pleased to feel how very much better they are." - Eleanor Roosevelt

The above quote made me laugh when I read it today! My sister came to visit this past weekend and while I cleaned up, I spent some time at creating a distraction - for her pure enjoyment, of course. Paper Butterflies!

Now, some people would not fully appreciate being welcomed by a dozen paper butterflies hanging throughout the first floor. But my sister did! She has a wonderful whimsical, silly, crafty, side that I enjoy so much.


Want to make them yourself? It is so easy...

For each butterfly choose 2 colorful pieces of paper (I used pages from a home decorating magazine.) Cut out 2 squares, one 6 inces and the other 5 inches on each side.


Next, make an accordion-fold beginning at a corner. Mine were 1/2 inch folds.


Fold a 12 inch pipe cleaner in half. Make a small loop at the bottom and center the small paper square then the large square inside the pipe cleaner. Twist the pipe cleaner above and below the wings and curl the ends for antennae.


Now you have it. Another way to remind us of the joys of nature - I think I will make some small ones for our nature table...



No comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!